St Joseph's Cemetery

 

Cardinal Thomas Weld (1773-1837)

 

Before 1825 there had been a serious problem about burials: if Catholics were to be buried in a graveyard it had to be that of the Anglican Church, and with the consent of the local vicar. Some Catholics were buried in unconsecrated ground, though many Hurst Green Catholics were buried at Mitton. This was put right when Thomas Weld (later Cardinal Weld) donated land at the top of the avenue for a cemetery and built a handsome mortuary chapel pictured above.

 

The cemetery records have been filmed and are available at Lancashire Archives at Preston under reference number DDX 241/2 and have also been transcribed and available in the search room there.

 

Cemetery Charges